Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Curiosity and Connection vs. Control






When I’m living in my “highest parenting self” moments and respond to my child’s vulnerability with genuine curiosity and thoughtful questions, I AM OFTEN AMAZED at their ability to think deeply, grow in new ways, draw thoughtful conclusions and create THEIR OWN empowering action plans.
For example, when my child tells me about an “annoying,” or “rude,” or “mean” person - these are some of the questions that may be a part of that type of conversation. Hopefully these spark an idea that can be useful/helpful for fellow parents out there:
“That sounds really hard. What felt most frustrating to you about this situation?”
“It sounds like this person feels angry, have you considered what they may be experiencing in their life outside of school that could be hard for them right now?”
“Wow, that’s a tricky situation to be in the middle of! What are some ideas you can brainstorm to navigate through this?”
“That must’ve felt painful, I’m sorry. Did this experience teach you something new about yourself that might help you in future situations?
“I can sense how upsetting this was, I’m sorry sweetheart. Do you have any thoughts on setting a boundary in this relationship and/or respectfully speak your truth? What do you feel would be a helpful choice for you to make right now?”
“It sounds like this was a really hard day and what you need is just a listening ear - I am right here to listen. It’s perfectly okay to just feel these sad/mad/angry/frustrated feelings.”
Realizing that we don’t have to “fix” our children or “solve” all of their problems is a gift on SO many levels!!

No comments: